I chose to do this method because I always see pictures like this and wonder how it was done. I chose the taxi picture because this is the most popular type of color splash that I see.
- Once I downloaded the photo from the creative commons site, I opened it in Photoshop.
- I clicked the layer and duplicated it.
- I went to Images > Adjustments > Black & White
- After the picture was black and white, I clicked the eye on the original layer.
- Then I selected the lasso tool and clicked around the the taxi I wanted to display in color.
- I then used the eraser tool to erase the black and white layer and the color appeared.